Hi there! I’m Shana from the instagram account @shanalmoore, where I share my day-to-day life, from what I eat to how I workout (after losing and maintaining a 100lbs weight loss), in hopes to inspire and motivate others!
National Smoothie Day was this week, and you’re in luck because I happen to be a self-proclaimed smoothie expert! I love smoothies because they’re delicious, filling, and nutritious, any time of the year. They’re perfect for post-workouts, quick grab-and-go breakfasts, and more. Additionally, as a Daily Harvest Express Farm Box subscriber, smoothies are a tasty way to use up any fresh produce before it goes bad.
So in honor of this epic day, not only am I sharing my most favorite green smoothie recipe (of all
time) with you, but I’ll also offer up some tips on how to turn it into a Smoothie Kit!
What is a Smoothie Kit? It’s a way to meal-prep your favorite smoothie recipes, so that all you’ll have to do is dump the ingredients into a blender, add the liquid and give it a whirl! Although you can totally make this recipe day-of, putting in a little extra effort to prepare Smoothie Kits gives you no more excuses for missing breakfast ever again!
Spicy Green Smoothie Recipe
- 5oz Frozen Mango
- 1/2 Frozen Banana
- 3oz Spinach
- 1/4 Cucumber
- 1/4 cup Parsley
- 1/2 thumb Fresh Ginger
- 2 tbsp Hemp Seeds
- Dash of Cayenne Pepper (to taste)
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 cup Water (or more, according to your desired consistency)
NOTE: If you don’t like spicy, omit the ginger and cayenne pepper. It’ll still be delicious!
How To Build a Smoothie Pack:
- PICK A RECIPE: Once a recipe has been chosen, study it and determine how many smoothies
you’ll want to make. Once decided, gather all of the ingredients and any measuring tools.
- IF USING FRESH FRUIT: Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Chop the fruit into
manageable chunks and arrange it in a single layer. Small chunks of fruit will make it easier to
blend. (SPICY GREEN SMOOTHIE: you can prep and freeze the mango and banana, or
buy it already frozen)
- FREEZE: Set the baking sheet in the freezer for at least four hours.
- PREP THE CONTAINERS: Some people use Ziploc bags, but I prefer mason jars because
they’re eco-friendly and reusable. Use a sharpie to label and date each container. Most
smoothies will require a liquid base that should not be included in your smoothie kit, so it may
also be helpful to write a reminder of it and its quantity on the label too, e.g. “06/21/18 – Spicy
Green Smoothie + juice of 1/2 a lemon + 1/2 cup H2O”, so that you won’t forget to add it on the
- FILL THE CONTAINERS: Using the recipe, measure out all the ingredients (minus the liquids)
and load up the bags or jars. If using Ziploc bags, be sure to remove as much air as possible
before sealing. If using jars, seal them tightly with their lids. (SPICY GREEN SMOOTHIE: add
the mango, banana, spinach, cucumber, parsley, ginger, and hemp seeds to a jar. NOTE:
You may want to withhold the cayenne pepper until it’s time to blend the smoothie, to
avoid being blindly committed to something too spicy for your taste!)
- PLACE THE CONTAINERS INTO THE FREEZER: You should now have several individually measured smoothies ready to go! Now just place them into your freezer until they’re ready to be used.
- USE: Remove a jar from the freezer and thaw it out slightly at room temperature for a few minutes or by briefly running the jar under warm water. Empty the jar contents out into a blender, measure and pour in the liquid (SPICY GREEN SMOOTHIE: add the lemon juice, water and spice to taste), and give it a whirl!
This spicy green smoothie recipe produces the most gorgeous color; it always sparks up a conversation with a co-worker! And I love how nourishing it is too.
If you make my spicy green smoothie recipe, or make smoothie kits using a different recipe, don’t forget to tag me @shanalmoore in your posts. I’d love to see and connect with you too!
Get your Daily Harvest Express order placed right now (or no later than Sunday evening at 5 pm) so you can enjoy another week of fresh, healthy food from local farmers!
If you’re an existing customer, check out the What’s In My Box page to see what’s headed your way or to customize your order. If you’re a new customer, learn more about which service is best for you by clicking the button below:
Want to get more articles like this?
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get more local food & farming news from Daily Harvest Express!